Registration/Diploma Questions & Answers


Q. Does VVS keep copies of diplomas on file?

A. No, VVS does not keep copies of diplomas; the only copy of the diploma is given to the student at graduation. We cannot replace lost or missing diplomas. The student's transcript is all that is kept on file.

Q. What does VVS keep for records on past resident students?

A. We keep a permanent record card for each student. This record has all of your grades and credits earned during your high school years, along with your graduation date. This record is kept for life.

Q. Are you allowed to see and/or keep your student file?

A. Yes. Ten (10) years after graduation student folders are destroyed.  The year the file is set to be destroyed you may request your file.  You must make the request by June of that year. In July all files are destroyed. Please note files are not mailed, you will have to pick it up.

Q. Does VVS keep records of nonresident students who attended a program here at VVS?

A. No, if you were a nonresident student attending a VVS program, you will need to contact your home district that you resided in. VVS does not keep records for nonresident students, it is the responsibility of the home district to keep those.

Q. If I never participated in graduation and did not pick up my diploma what should I do?

A. Call the Guidance office at (315)829-2520 ext 5331 to verfiy that your diploma has not been picked up. If your diploma has not been picked up, you must come in (in person) with a valid id. Diplomas are not mailed.

Q. Can a parent of a former student request records, if the student is over the age of 18?

A. No, FERPA states rights are transferred to the student, to the exclusion of thier parents, when the student turns 18, or attends an institiution of postsecondary education. For more information on FERPA please view the following website

Q. Health records I need a copy, who do I contact?

A. Please contact the nurse at (315)829-2520 ext 5015. (*present or former high school students)

Q. Education Verification Requests

A. All education verification requests must be faxed to (315)829-4465. You must attach a signed release from the former student.


Q. Do you accept tuition students?

A. No. The Vernon-Verona-Sherrill School District does not accept tuition students. The primary custodial parent must reside within the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill School District in order to attend Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Schools. Proof of residency is required.

Q. I am interested in home schooling my student. What is the procedure?

A. Questions regarding home schooling should be directed to Our Administration Offices at (315)829-2520.

Q. A student is attending the Vernon Verona Sherrill Schools and does not reside in the district. How do I report that?

A. Contact the Principal Office for the building that student is attending to report these incidents. We will make every attempt to keep your call anonymous.

Q. A student who is not my biological child is coming to live with me. His/her custodial parent resides elsewhere. Can I enroll this child in the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Schools?

A. No. You would need to obtain total and permanent custody/guardianship of the child and, as required by State law, proof of custody must be provided at the time of registration. VVS does not accept grant of temporary care and custody documentation.

Q. I am the biological father of a child and wish to enroll him/her in school. Her biological mother and I were never married. What do I need to do?

A. You would need to provide proof of custody in order to enroll him/her. In the State of New York, if parents were never married, the mother is automatically the sole custodial parent.

If the parents were never married, and the parents never signed an “Acknowledgment of Paternity,” the father has no custody or visitation rights. He can only get custody and visitation rights if he legally establishes paternity. For more information, please see the article titled “Paternity in New York.”

Q. My child is attending Vernon Verona Sherrill Schools. Due to financial hardships, we lost our home and are currently living on the street or in a shelter. Whom do I contact for information regarding my situation?

A. Contact Mr. Mark Wixson, Assistant Superintendent  for Finance and Operations.

Q. I do not have my child's original birth certificate. Can I still enroll my child for school?

A. You can enroll your child for school without a birth certificate if you are able to provide all other required enrollment documentation. This will provide you with ten (10) days in which to provide an attested (official with seal) birth certificate or equivalent.

Q. What is acceptable if a birth certificate is not available?

A. In lieu of a birth certificate you may provide: (1) A passport(original); or valid picture driver license for the student (as long as you've had for at least two years).

Q. I have a court order/judgment entry giving me custody of a child. However, it is not signed by a judge. Is this acceptable?

A. No. We need a court order signed and dated by a judge/magistrate in order to be acceptable. The parent/guardian must obtain a signed copy from the courts. We will not be able to honor any unsigned court paperwork.

Q. My ex and I have shared parenting. We live in two different school districts. Can my student attend either district?

A. That depends on the agreed entry. The child must attend school in the district of the primary residential parent.

Q. I am divorced and the children live with me. I am the sole custodial parent. I do not want the non-custodial parent to have access to their records. Is this acceptable?

A. No. According to the law, a non-custodial parent has the same rights as a custodial parent. Therefore, the non-custodial parent has a right to access student records. The only exception to this is if you have an order of protection or restraining order which would not allow access by the other parent. If you have such an order and wish for us to honor your requests, the school MUST have a copy of the order. Otherwise, we cannot deny the non-custodial parent rights to a student's records.

Q. A relative/friend gave me a notarized letter giving me custody of her child. Is that acceptable as proof of custody?

A. No. We cannot accept notarized statements. You must have a court order. VVS does not accept grant of temporary care and custody documentation. You (the parent, guardian or caregiver) have to show that the youth is living with you and that you have total and permanent custody and control.