School Bus Safety Tips
Important School Bus Safety Alert
Click for a copy of School Bus Safety and Ridership Facts
Parents - Help us protect your children as they travel to and from school
Certain types of children's clothing can create a hazard as your child exits the school bus. Especially dangerous are:
- Long, dangling jacket or sweatshirt drawstrings
- Long backpack straps
- Long scarves or other loose clothing
Such items can be caught in the bus handrail, door, or other equipment as the child exits the bus.
In recent years, a number of children across the U.S. have had their clothing caught as they left the bus. Several children were dragged by the bus and then killed when the bus ran over them.
Please take time to check your children's clothing to make sure it is safe.
Also, please take time to talk with your children about these safety rules:
- Stay away from the DANGER ZONES around the bus.
- Don't try to pick up something dropped by the bus. The driver might not see you.
- Remember that other motorists don't always stop for a stopped school bus - use extreme caution when getting on or off the bus.
School Bus Safety is a Team Effort
Nothing is More Precious than a Child's Life
Courtesy of the Pupil Transportation Safety Institute: 800-836-2210 or 315-475-1836