•  Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Central School District

    New York State Home

    New York State Worker's Compensation Board


    What To Do If You Are Injured On The Job

    If you are injured on the job, you must follow these simple steps:

    OBTAIN first aid or other necessary medical treatment immediately or as soon as possible from the school nurse. If the school nurse is unavailable, obtain first aid from the local urgent care, if necessary.  

    The cost of necessary medical services is paid by your employer or your employer's insurance carrier, if the case is not disputed. Health care providers may request that injured workers sign form A-9. This form is meant to provide notice to the injured worker that he or she may be responsible to pay the medical bills if the Workers' Compensation Board disallows the claim or the injured worker does not pursue the claim.

    COMPLETE an accident claim form with the school nurse immediately following the incident or as soon as possible.  

    NOTIFY your supervisor about the injury and the way in which it occurred, as soon as possible. An injured employee who fails to inform his or her employer, in writing, within 30 days after the date of the accident causing the injury, may lose the right to workers' compensation benefits. In the case of occupational disease, notification should be given within two years after disablement, or within two years after the claimant knew or should have known that the disease was work-related, whichever is later).

    THEREAFTER . . . .

    • Follow doctor's instructions to speed full recovery.

    • Attend an Independent Medical Examination if you are required to do so.

    • Go back to work as soon as you are able.

    • If unable to work or returning to work, provide VVS Human Resource department with updated doctor’s note.

    • Attend such hearings as may be held in the case, when you are notified to appear.